Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Fair Game by Terrance M.

Terrance Mack
Health 7
Rwamagana District, Eastern Province

When I think of the term “Gender Inequality” my mind flashes back to the years of my childhood, watching my mother work from 6’oclock in the morning to 5’oclock at night and coming home to cook. Her spouse, my step father, only worked from 9’oclock to 2’clock. When he came home, he undressed and went to his man cave (the basement) to watch TV or play video games. She worked at an insurance company, and he was a security guard.

It was the same routine every weekday, which in my child-life mind this were there assigned roles. I did not understand why they had these assigned roles, but at early age I was taught the difference between fair and not fair. This was not fair to me.

If it takes two to make a baby, then why in many households there aren’t two raising the baby, or feeding the baby. That’s not fair game.

In high school we had promiscuous boys that everyone knew and promiscuous girls that everyone knew. Those boys were called glorifying terms such as “ladies’ man” or “player”. Those girls were called derogatory terms such as “slut” or “whore”. That’s not fair game.

You can’t spell community without unity. We have to make the game fair to establish that unity.

Instead of the household being a mirror image of a monarchy, it has to be a team sport for it to be fair game. When one has more work load than the other, which hinders development. And not just development in the household or the community, but the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment