Monday, March 18, 2013

A Perfect Smile by Sarah E.

Sarah E.
Eastern Province, Kirehe District


Every Peace Corps Volunteer has their reasons for wanting to live 27 months away from home. One of mine was to get away from fast-paced technology, to slow down a little bit. While the internet offers all the information in the world, a way to know exactly what you want to know when, I was interested in what life would be like without the constant communication. I didn’t know then what I know now: that fate always has something in store for you, and that connections can exist before they’re even made.

When I applied for Peace Corps in August 2010, I requested sub-Saharan Africa as my future home, and that, even, wasn’t guaranteed by Peace Corps. Peace Corps puts an applicant where they’re best seen fit, where their qualifications match the needs of a country. I waited and waited some more, and in July 2011, I learned that I would call Rwanda my home. 

After three months in training, I moved to my village in the Eastern Province, and on my first day of teaching, I noticed a girl who sat in the front row. I had about 50 students in each class I taught, and it took me months to learn all their names, but I learned her name within the first week: Francine. She’s a small girl with quiet confidence. When I said a joke to the class, she’d giggle to herself as opposed to out loud. Because she sat in the front row, I often borrowed her notebooks and pens to demonstrate new vocabulary, dropping them on the floor or tearing a piece of paper out. I borrowed her things so often, that when I approached her desk, she’d have something ready for me to grab, handing it to me. Her personality reminded me of myself, 12 years earlier: quiet, polite, and a little nervous. Francine has a cleft lip. Err…had a cleft lip.

Operation Smile came to Rwanda a year ago, but at the time, I had internet problems, so I couldn’t connect with them. Another PCV informed me that Operation Smile was coming again this year, so she gave me information about the dates and location. I connected with a member of the Operation Smile team through Peace Corps Rwanda and was able to get more information about who is selected to get the surgeries. I then met with my school headmaster and Francine, to discuss the possibility of her going to Kigali. She said she was interested, so we kept up communication with her father. During these conversations, her father became more and more excited – to the point that he said I could call Francine my child. I shook his hand a few dozen times – his happiness infectious.  While in Kigali, their food and lodging would be provided by Operation Smile. I knew their family was poor – both of Francine’s parents are farmers – so I gave them the money needed for Francine and one parent to travel to Kigali and return to our village: the equivalent of $25. The best $25 I’ve ever spent.

Francine being chosen for surgery was likely because she had an unrepaired cleft lip, Operation Smile’s first priority. After Francine left for Kigali, I felt like I was playing the waiting game, hoping that her and her father weren’t going to be disappointed. Five days passed, during which time I told my landlady about what was happening. She confirmed the name with me, and told me that just a year and a half before, Francine’s father was one of the constructors of my house! This house, which was being built around the time I received my invitation to serve in Rwanda. I knew in that moment: when my recruiter and placement officer placed me in Rwanda, and when Peace Corps selected me to serve in this village, it was all meant to happen. It may be easy to find mutual friends on Facebook and discover how small a world it is online, but when you’re put in the middle of nowhere and “the real world” can seem so far away, those bonds that form through no force of will on your own but through the actions of fate are meant to be.

I continued to wait for news, and then one of my fellow PCVs, volunteering for Operation Smile for the week, called me to give me the good news: Francine was chosen!

I’d like to give a shout out to the people of Operation Smile for doing what they do. In this global world of ours, it is nice to get away from it all, but it’s also nice to use connections to give people what they deserve: a perfect smile.

Since her surgery and returning to school, I’ve visited with Francine and her family. Here are a few photographs:
Francine is in the middle, wearing her school uniform. She is surrounded by her family.

Francine's father with one of their cows.

Me with Francine and her parents.

Francine's father with their other cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment