Thursday, November 8, 2012

International Girls' Day Essay Competition Winners by Sarah D.

    




Sarah Doyle
Ed2 - Kigali City

For International Girls' Day on October 11th, PCVs teamed up with Girl Hub, part of the Nike Foundation, to do an essay competition at some of our schools. The winners for both Kinyarwanda and English were sent along to me to select a few to go into Girl Hub's magazine, Ni Nyampinga. The magazine LOVED the essays and will be publishing excerpts from them all in the coming issue, but I thought this would be a good forum to post the English essays in their entirety. The question that we posed to the students was: "Why do you value yourself and what can you do to help develop your community?" Very often our students struggle with critical thinking, but I'm sure you'll agree, the essays below are very powerful and speak to the growing determination of young girls in Rwanda to not only study and create a future for themselves, but also to help their communities.

So now for the winners...

KABASINGA Flaviah, S6HEG, 18 years old
College De Rushaki, Gicumbi District, Northern Province
PCV: Lucy Sung

Why do I value myself and What can I do for my community?
Value is something inside which makes one to be more important and to be useful. One can be valued according to how one values herself in the society or among other people.
 I value myself in order to gain self respect among others and this self respect cannot be given to me when I have not known the value I have. When one values herself, it will make her gain responsibility in the community because everyone believes that she has knowledge and she is capable of doing everything for the society.
I value myself so that I can uplift and restore the traditional culture of our community because culture makes all the people in the society to be unite and respective of each other.
When I value myself, I gain confidence and hope in myself to work and develop my community in order to achieve development and prosperity to the nation. The value I give to myself makes it easier for to plan for my future because when I get to know the value I have, I don’t let it down but I fight to make it better even for people to honour me.
I value myself because am a co-creator of God so I have to make sure that God has more value than everything and I have to value myself so that God can be happy with me through showing good examples to other creatures.
I value myself because am a coordinator of all living things in the world .I have the power and supremacy to control and manage everything in the world.
Value brings hope, peace, and love in the society that is why I value myself because when I respect others they also respect me, which makes us equal ad makes me more valuable.
Value brings harmony in the society because when I value myself and others, I give a good example to others which makes the society to live happily.
All I can do for my community is to keep the value of our society is to respect each other and encourage them to have love, patience, and courage in what they do. For my community, I can encourage them to have the spirit of the traditional culture and nationalism in order to keep stability in the society. Encouraging people to have confidence and to work hard in order to achieve development which can value our community. I can help my community to teach them what value is, why they need it, and how they can achieve it, because value makes people to known their human rights.
_________________________________________________________________

UWIMBABAZI Gemime, Senior 6 MCB
E.S. BUGARAMA, Rusizi District, Western Provinc
PCV: Jeff Monsma

I know I have value because:
- I’m able to teach other girls.
- I’m able to be and I will become a good leader.
- I’m able to advise others.
- I have the chance to study, while before girls didn’t get that chance.
- I have my self-esteem!
- I know how to prevent AIDS.
- I am able to fight against peer pressure.
- I have the power to change the world.
- I am able to create friendship between students.
- I behave well
- I am able to run the world, teaching women and girls about how they
can have self esteem, how they can fight peer pressure, and so on. And
I’ll do it because everything is possible!



1 comment:

  1. There are instructive results http://dissertationplanet.com which furnish enticing school paper serve to learners

    ReplyDelete