Monday, October 29, 2012

Everybody Loves Kung Fu Fighting by Catie F.






Catie Fowler
ED 3 - Rubavu District, Western Province



When I was growing up, my best friend got her black belt in Tae Kwon Do and it was not only a turning point in her life, but also in mine. Insanely jealous, I asked my parents to sign me up for classes and worked for six years to get a black belt of my own. Martial arts helped me to get in the best shape of my life, but it also shaped me as a person. It gave me a huge boost not only to my work ethic and discipline, but also to my self-esteem.


I arrived at site with the vague idea that it would be fun to teach some sort of women's health or self-defense class, but the idea never really came into action. I didn't really have a good structure in place and I wasn't sure how well the men in my community would respond to the idea. I didn't want to give them the impression that I was training women to become violent. I stuck to teaching a couple of short self-defense classes in camps GLOW and BE and didn't really expect to take it anywhere from there.

A couple of months ago though, the unexpected took place in my village in the form of the Rubavu Kung Fu association. As a new club started forming in my community, I didn't really know exactly how I would get involved. I was invited to my sector's first promotion ceremony, but didn't think much of it because being invited to ceremonies comes pretty standard in the life of a Peace Corps Volunteer. However, it was at this ceremony that I realized just how deeply involved the association really wanted me to be. The master from Gisenyi gave a speech about gender equality and explained that Kung Fu wasn't only a sport for boys, but also for girls, making a point to invite all of them to study. It was later explained to me that I was supposed to join the association to help recruiting girls to practice and to teach was well. I was completely on the spot and out of my comfort zone, but it was impossible to turn down the opportunity. I was basically given the position of spokesperson for gender equality and female empowerment via Kung Fu and it wasn't even my idea, but the mens' idea. If gender balance is really going to work, it has to be supported by everyone, not only one of the sexes.

Involving girls in this sport has come with mixed results. On the one hand, my Sifu (instructor) has asked me to invite girls to the sport and to try to promote gender equality in my community. On the other, he also referred to me as the King Girl with the intention that I would be the primary teacher for female students, meaning that we would also be separate. I was thrilled when we went to a local school to get new students involved and ended up with a list of girls in the double digits...and ecstatic when the boys in the club promptly informed the headmaster that it would absolutely not be important to have two lists because boys and girls would study together. On some days, I have seen swarms of girls flood the basketball courts after school to study, on others I'm the only one present. There are however, two girls in particular that are really sticking with it, both of whom are up for promotion to red belt at the next test.

I never really thought I would have the chance to study martial arts in Rwanda and I certainly never thought Rwandans would be so open to gender balance so I think the two combined are a pretty good indication that times are changing in Rwanda. I get a kick out of the kids that try to imitate my Kung Fu in the streets when they see me and the old men that greet me as Sifu in the street. I love that I not only know strong and athletic girls who are willing to study Kung Fu, but also that there is a strong community of men in place to support them in doing so. The best part is every Peace Corps volunteers' dream. Because this idea didn't come from me, not only did I feel like I was pushing it on my community, but I also know that it will continue after I am gone. I just get to have the good fortune of being in the right place at the right time as Rwanda moved towards having a more balanced society.

No comments:

Post a Comment